Book Title: Essential Strategies for Word Study: Effective Methods for Improving Decoding, Spelling, and Vocabulary
Publisher: Scholastic Teaching Resources (Theory an
Author: Timothy Rasinski
- The Fluent Reader (2nd Edition): Oral & Silent Reading Strategies for Building Fluency, Word Recognition & Comprehension
- 3-Minute Reading Assessments: Word Recognition, Fluency, and Comprehension: Grades 1-4 (Three-minute Reading Assessments)
- Daily Word Ladders: Grades 4–6: 100 Reproducible Word Study Lessons That Help Kids Boost Reading, Vocabulary, Spelling & Phonics Skills—Independently!
- The Fluent Reader in Action: PreK–4: A Rich Collection of Research-Based, Classroom-Tested Lessons and Strategies for Improving Fluency and Comprehension
- From Phonics to Fluency: Effective Teaching of Decoding and Reading Fluency in the Elementary School (3rd Edition)
- 3-Minute Reading Assessments: Word Recognition, Fluency, and Comprehension: Grades 5-8
- Strategies That Work: Teaching Comprehension for Understanding and Engagement
- Daily Word Ladders: Grades 2–3: 100 Reproducible Word Study Lessons That Help Kids Boost Reading, Vocabulary, Spelling & Phonics Skills—Independently!
- Greek and Latin Roots - Keys to Building Vocabulary
- Systematic Word Study for Grades 2–3: An Easy Weekly Routine for Teaching Hundreds of New Words to Develop Strong Readers, Writers, and Spellers
Defining word study as the direct exploration and analysis of words—through phonics, vocabulary, and spelling instruction—the authors maintain that it is most effective when sound, spelling, and meaning are examined simultaneously. To that end, they offer thirty engaging activities divided into three sections: exploring word structure, examining word meanings, and extending word learning. In this way, word study becomes a fascinating part of the overarching language arts curriculum. Students learn all about words, inside and out, as they sort and spell, harvest and map, define and design, investigate and analyze, decode and use words—all toward the aim of becoming more effective and efficient readers and writers. For use with Grades 2–8.